Converting decimal to hexadecimal
There are several ways to convert decimal (sometimes called denary, or base 10) numbers into hexadecimal (base 16).
The video below gives a step by step guide on how to convert decimal numbers into binary code using the ‘divide by 16’ method.
Here’s how it works:
- Divide the decimal number by 16.
- If the number will not divide equally by 16, then round down the answer to the nearest whole number (integer).
- Keep a note of the remainder, it should be between 0 and 15.
- Keep repeating the above steps, dividing each answer by 16, until you reach zero.
- Write out all the remainders, from bottom to top.
- Finally, convert any remainders bigger than 9 into hexadecimal letters. This is your solution.