A web browser is a software program which allows the user to retrieve and display web pages (and other resources) from the world wide web.
Web browsers interpret the HTML code from websites and present it to the user in a format we can understand.
Typical features of a web browser
- Bookmarks – to save the address of your favourite websites
- Back button – to go back to the previous page you viewed
- History – to access a list of pages you historically visited
- Multiple tabs / windows – the ability to view multiple pages at once in different tabs
- Page refresh – make the page refresh by reloading it
- Home page – the ability to choose the initial website that loads when you open the browser
- Address bar – a place to directly type in the URL, if you know it
Examples of web browser software
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer