Topics / Networks and Data Transmission / PANs, LANs and WANs
PANs, LANs and WANs
Networks are often classified as PANs, LANs or WANs.
Personal Area Network (PAN)
- A computer network of devices within close distance of an individual and their work space
- Examples include interconnecting an individual’s computer, smartphone and tablet (wired e.g. by USB, or wireless e.g. by Bluetooth)
Local Area Network (LAN)
- A computer network that covers a small geographical area
- Examples include schools, small businesses, homes
Wide Area Network (WAN)
- A computer network that covers a large geographical area
- Examples include banks, hospitals, police forces, the Internet
Several LANs can be connected together to create a WAN.