Connecting stand-alone computers together creates a computer network.
Networks can be wired, wireless, or a combination of both.
Advantages of computer networks
- Share data with other users
- Access your data from other computers
- File servers can store data in a central location, making it easier to keep secure and backup
- Application servers can be used to store software in a central location
- Communications can be sent from one computer to another
- Printers can be shared
- An internet connection can be shared
Disadvantages of computer networks
- Larger networks can be expensive to setup and staff
- Networks can have security risks
- Viruses can be spread if not properly protected
- Depending on the network structure, the entire network could fail if certain elements fail
- High amounts of traffic can cause a network to run slowly